Top 10 Tips for New Puppy Owners
New puppy driving you wild? Here are some helpful tips to train and care for new puppies!
- Spay or neuter your puppy. Recommended by veterinarians because it reduces the chances of cancer in the reproductive organs.
- Put an ID tag on your pet’s collar. Be sure to include your phone number in case your pet becomes lost. Microchipping is another option available for puppy identification.
- Take your puppy to the vet for a physical and vaccinations.
- Plan your puppies diet to help maintain a healthy body weight and a healthy pet.
- Housebreak your puppy as soon as possible. The sooner you do, the sooner the puppy potty mishaps will be over.
- Consider crate training your puppy as well. This is a special place your puppy can retreat when they are feeling tired.
- Train your puppy to learn the rules and boundaries. This shows your puppy who is in charge. It will also help keep your puppy safe.
- Puppy proof your house. Think about what may be potentially harmful and prevent an accident from happening. Puppies should not be able to access cleaning products.
- Take your puppy to new places to help them learn to socialize with other dogs and people.
- Bond with your puppy and enjoy the short puppy phase. Then your puppy will grow up to be a loyal and trusted companion capable of both giving and receiving love.
Important tip: Puppies need vaccinations every 3-4 weeks until they’re 16 weeks of age.
Find your next puppy, best friend, or pet at www.wantaddigest.com. Trusted pet classifieds since 1962.