Save on Heating
5 Quick Actions to Save on Heating Costs
- Check Want Ad Digest Classifieds for huge savings on furnaces, boilers, heaters and other heating equipment for sale.
- Set your thermostat to 68 degrees. You can save up to 5 percent on heating costs for every degree you lower your heat in the 60-70 degree range. Consider keeping your thermostat lower and wear a sweater to stay comfortable.
- Replace or clean the filters on your furnace or other heating systems. Dirty filters can block the airflow and cause an increase in your home’s energy use. Keeping your heating system clean and in top shape can save additional money on your heating bills.
- Reduce the temperature on your hot water heater. Reducing the temperature on your hot water heater can save you 7-11 percent on the cost of heating water.
- Check doors and windows for leaks and cracks. Use caulk to seal up the gaps and cracks to keep your home warm and energy efficient.
Keep Safe This Winter: Remember you cannot smell or see Carbon Monoxide (CO). Do not use BBQs or camp stoves indoors for heat. BBQs and camp stoves are designed to be used only outdoors and present significant safety hazards when used in any enclosed or partially enclosed setting. Besides the obvious fire hazard, they can produce high levels of carbon monoxide (CO). Again, remember you cannot smell or see CO. If you begin to feel sick, dizzy, or weak, get to fresh air RIGHT AWAY. DO NOT DELAY. Carbon monoxide can quickly cause full incapacitation and death. If you experience serious symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.